By Katie Poole-Hussa, Property Manager, Acorn Property Management
In winter, your tenants can enjoy energy-efficient warmth and the fruits of your maintenance labors while you take a few precautionary measures on the outside.
- Walk around the property’s exterior and make sure the foundation vents are closed or covered.
- Protect the central air conditioning unit with a cover. Remove and store window air conditioners.
- Winterize sprinkler systems.
- Rake last of leaves and remove storm debris as needed.
- Check gutters and downspouts and clean them out if needed.
- Send freezing weather reminders to tenants.
- Insulate or wrap all exposed plumbing pipes.
Katie Poole–Hussa is a Licensed Property Manager, Continuing Education Provider, Chair of the Education Committee for the RHA Oregon, and General Manager of the Portland Oregon branch of Acorn Property Management, LLC. She can be reached with questions or comments at Katie@AcornPM.net.
This column offers general suggestions only and is no substitute for professional legal assistance. Please consult an attorney for advice related to your specific situation.