By Katie Poole-Hussa, Property Manager, Acorn Property Management
In winter, your tenants can enjoy energy-efficient warmth and the fruits of your maintenance labors while you take a few precautionary measures on the outside.
- Walk around the property’s exterior and make sure the foundation vents are closed or covered.
- Protect the central air conditioning unit with a cover. Remove and store window air conditioners.
- Winterize sprinkler systems.
- Rake last of leaves and remove storm debris as needed.
- Check gutters and downspouts and clean them out if needed.
- Send freezing weather reminders to tenants.
- Insulate or wrap all exposed plumbing pipes.
Katie Poole–Hussa is a Licensed Property Manager, Continuing Education Provider, Chair of the Education Committee for the RHA Oregon, and a Property Manager at Acorn Property Management in Portland, OR. She can be reached with questions or comments at Katie@AcornPM.net